Frequently Asked Questions
Here’s a list of questions that I’ve been asked at least once — via email, Google, or in person. If you have an urgent, unanswered question, go ahead and ask it. I will answer all questions to the best of my ability.
Note: I will only post questions that are asked frequently. However, if you include your email address, I will be sure to respond to your question personally (unless it’s insulting or incoherent).
- What movies has Woody Allen directed but not starred in?
- Woody Allen has directed, without acting in, a number of movies. The first was 1978's Interiors, but others have included: 1985's The Purple Rose of Cairo, 1987's September, 1988's Another Woman, 1990's Alice, 1994's Bullets Over Broadway, 1998's Celebrity, 1999's Sweet and Lowdown, 2004's Melinda and Melinda, 2005's Match Point, 2007's Cassandra's Dream, 2008's Whatever Works, 2009's Vicky Christina Barcelona and 2010's You Will Meet a Tall Dark Strange and 2011's Midnight in Paris.
- How do you know so much about Woody Allen?
- I spend a lot of time reading reviews and interviews on the Internet. I also reccomend, for those of you who want to one day know as much as me, the book Conversations With Woody Allen — a book of interviews compiled over several decades.
- Are Woody Allen's movies appropriate for children?
- There's not much profanity, or actual sex in any of Woody Allen's movies, but people talk about sex a lot. There's also a lot of immoral behavior that goes un-punished (infidelity, murder, etc) - so take heed, if that is a concern. Younger children would probably find most of his movies pretty boring. Woody Allen's early comedies are probably your best bet, as they're silly and quite short.
- What's the best Woody Allen movie?
- Annie Hall is his most acclaimed, award-winning and well-known movie, so I guess if you're talking objectively, that would make it the best.
Among die-hard fans (myself included) his late '80s movies (especially Hannah and her Sisters and Crimes and Misdemeanors) are frequently considered to be more significant artistic accomplishments.
- What is Woody Allen's favorite Woody Allen movie?
- His answers vary from time to time... he has cited Love and Death, Match Point, Broadway Danny Rose and Husbands and Wives as being among his favorites, but he most consistently names The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) as his best movie.
- What is the most recent Woody Allen movie?
- Midnight In Paris, starring Owen Wilson, was released into theatres in early 2011. A film titled To Rome With Love (formerly Nero Fiddled) starring Jesse Eisenberg, Ellen Page, Penelope Cruz, Alec Baldwin and Roberto Benigini will be released in the summer of 2012. Woody Allen will also co-star in this film (his first on-screen appearance since 2006's Scoop).
- Can I use your images on my site?
- Sure! Just try to keep the watermark in the corner intact.